Sunday, December 12, 2010

Be Thou My Vision

O Lord of my heart...




My church family here in Lexington is amazing. My husband and I are a part of a fantastic Sunday School class with people that I know with whom we will be friends forever, no matter where we are called. Every time I am able to be around our friends I leave feeling refreshed and energized for the Lord; no matter if we are coming from a movie night, a Bible study, or a trip to Starbucks- He is working in us! 


This morning in church we closed with two amazing songs. The first was one that I was familiar with, even though I didn't start going to church until I was a freshman in college and am SO lost sometimes in regards to hymns! But I really don't think I've ever listened to the words as closely as I did this morning, or it could have been that I actually heard the words instead of just listened to them, ya know? 


What I love about Be Thou My Vision is that it truly is Christ focused. It goes beyond calling Him Emmanuel, and expands on His names, what He really is, with each line: He is our  Vision, the Lord of our Heart, the filler of our best thoughts, our Light for our nights, our Wisdom, THE Word, our Great Father, our Strength and Shield in battle, our Dignities and Delights, our Shelter from the "storms" of life, our Power, our Inheritance, the only High King, our Treasure and Reward, bright heaven's Sun, the Heart we strive after-- the Ruler of all. The hymn tells us what Christ is and what he should be in our lives- our vision, our ruler. 


Then we closed with one of my favorites from Chris Tomlin. I've heard him described or nicknamed as "America's Worship Leader," because his songs are worship driven, worship inspired, and if you have sung a contemporary Christian song, chances are it's one of his! I remember the first time I heard Our God on K-Love, remember tearing up when I heard it because it is so true! 


Our God is greater, our God is stronger, God you are higher than any other.
Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power, Our God! Our God! 


And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us?
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against?
And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us?
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against?
What could stand against?
 



It is so true though- He is greater, stronger, the Most High and more powerful than anything that will try to stop us. He wins. If we are one of His, He is for us; when we are not one of His, He is STILL with us- He is our Reward as well as our Strength and Shield in battle.  Like it? Retweet it!

No comments:

Post a Comment